Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Late Liam Curham & Tony Weldon

Two Waterford greats passed away on Sunday last: two time Mayor of Waterford City Liam Curham and the one and only Tony Weldon.

Both were geat men in their own ways and made two distinct but equally valid and lasting contributions to their city and their legacies will last a long time.

I was privileged to have known both of them. Tony through my work in WLR fm many moons ago and Liam - initially when, as President of the then WRTC Students Union, he agreed as Mayor to meet us when we went out on strike for three days! I think he spent the whole meeting trying not to laugh. I have good memories of both of them. They were good men, very droll and very wise in their own unique way.

My sympathy goes to their families and friends.

The bed of heaven to both of them - and in Tony's case, I hope he doesn't spend too long "in the feathers".

We won't see their like again.

God rest their sweet souls. RIP

No comments: