Monday, March 22, 2010

Millers Marsh Path Urgently Needs Widening




Sometimes you have to focus on the things you CAN change. (Isn't that part of a prayer?) And one of those things for me, hopefully, is the miserly path crossing Millers Marsh Bridge heading from Johns Street to Storm Cinema.

As you can see from the above picture, the path is barely wide enough to take my slim seven-year-old, not to mention the two year old who was also with us, or indeed myself.

I intend to make vigorous representations to the City Council to have the path widened as a matter of urgency. It really is simply too dangerous. This route has become very well used - in fairness, much more so than it used to be - since the cinema based there and something has to be done to make it safer for pedestrians very many of whom are children - who can be expected, such is the narrowness of the path, to step off of it or even fall off of it in its current condition.

I know the road here is narrow also - just about enough for two cars to pass, but even if it meant making the road one-way or re-organising the traffic at this pinch point, I believe that this is absolutely necessary.

As far as I'm aware there hasn't been a serious accident as yet here but surely that is just a matter of time.

Many of the issues I discuss here are not within my power to do anything about - however, this one is and I intend to pursue it.

No comments: