Friday, January 15, 2010

To be PC or un-PC???? That is the Question!

Okay, I did it: I called people who piddle in peoples doorways 'gobshites'! For that indeed is what they are. I have been an elected representative on Waterford City Council for over a decade now and, to my memory, have not used what is termed 'unparliamentary language' before. In fact, even now I contend that the term I used would be on the tame end of the scale.

But is it OK to use unparliamentary language ever? Well, IMHO, yes it is - when occasion demands. I challenge anyone who has witnessed the evidence accumulated by the residents of the Ballytruckle Road, who have had to put up with this type of activity for years, to come up with a more apt term for those who perpetrated it!

We have become a very Politically Correct society. We tend to not call a spade a spade any more! We don't name it - and we don't punish it. We don't punish low level nuisance - which is only low-level by the way, if it's not being peed in through your own letterbox! So we call it anti-social behaviour carried out by 'some young people'. Now technically correct as that is, it excites none of the outrage in us, that we should rightly feel when the actual activity is named.

Perhaps bringing back a little bit of passion into politics would be no bad thing. On the whole I have received a very positive reaction from the public since my contribution was broadcast by WLRfm on Wednesday last. I am happy to say that the robust, passionate and common sense people of Waterford are not going to pretend that they are actually offended by the use of such a term, or that they have never heard it before - or indeed used it? Fair play to them.

Maybe a little bit more calling a spade and spade might be good for this country. Maybe then people might actually go out there and understand what is happening to us as a nation and then we could start to change it.

As for my my use of unparliamentary language; am I sorry? Yes, if I caused offence. Will I be using it again......only if absolutely necessary.

No comments: